Friday, February 29, 2008

Joining NUS Rotaract Club is the best decision I have ever made in NUS. It has given me ample opportunities to participate in lots of community service activities, serving a broader group of less-fortunate people: the youth, the elderly, the physically and mentally disabled, and the deaf. It has also given me the opportunity to take up leadership position in the club, to lead a group of volunteers, and most importantly to influence others to do community service willingly, and not for the sake of any rewards.

For me, simply looking at the smiles written on the beneficiaries’ faces and hearing the word ‘Thank You’ uttered by them at the end of any project can really make my day. Being actively involved in community service has changed the way I view life. I am more grateful of what I have, I tend to complain less, and I have learnt to be a good listener as well. It makes me more aware that there are so many people out there in the community, who are in need of our help. There is so much fun in doing community service that the more you get involved in it, the stronger your passion will be. And it’s really heartening to see the club members, who share the same passion, working together as a group to bring joy in the beneficiaries’ lives.

I have certainly grown over the years, thanks to the opportunities given by the club and the friends that I make throughout my 4 years of Rotaract journey. I have also watched this club grow from a small community service club to what it's today...a club which offers more varieties of community service projects, serves more groups in the community, boasts higher membership, and is filled with more passionate individuals. What a great satisfaction! ;)

~Lydia~

No comments: